All about Toe Pain Relief
Arthritis can be one of the key causes of toe pain. Arthritis is mainly a disorder of the joints due to inflammation of one or more of the same. There are more than hundred different types of arthritis, and arthritis in the toe is one among them. Arthritis in the toe is often associated with joint pain or arthralgia. However, the source of the pain can be a number of other factors too. The pain can either be a direct consequence of an injury or an abnormality in the toe. The skin on and around the toe, the blood vessels and nerves in it, the soft tissues, bones, and so on are prone to getting injured due to movement or locomotion. Athletes are more prone to getting their toe injured.
Symptoms of pain in the big toe
It is rightly said that small things can get us into big problems. Here are a few symptoms of pain in the big toe:
- A feeling of numbness in the toes, a burning sensation, or experiencing warmth around the area can make you consider toe pain.
- If you get your big toe injured, you will have immense trouble and discomfort as you walk.
- There is bound to be swelling if there is a hairline crack or similar issues. Painkillers can temporarily relieve the pain, but it is important to consult a doctor for permanent toe pain relief.
- Misalignment of bones or a fracture can cause immense and writhing pain. Needless to say, you’ll be unable to walk with such pain.
- A tender feeling in the toe or even a discoloration or bruise can be seen.
- Bumps are common due to ingrown toenails, corns, and so on.
Etiology of toe pain
- Unhealthy and ingrown toenails, blisters, bunions, corns, cuts, calluses, and scrapes are some of the most common causes of toe pain.
- Any kind of infection in the toe area can result in pain since pain is the most common way of the body to convey that something is wrong.
- As the big toe is made up of a complex network of muscles, ligaments, joints, cartilages, and blood vessels, pain in this region can be due to a defect in any one of them. For proper detection and toe pain relief, the entire range of factors should be carefully and medically assessed.
- The big toe is more susceptible to environmental injuries that can inflict trauma to it. The IQ memorizes the feelings associated with a previous fracture or dislocation, sprains or even small bruises on the foot. Also, the pain sensation triggers in similar conditions or with a second accidental injury. With a normal and minimal stubbing, it can aggravate the pain again.
- Dancers or athletes who do not care much and put abnormal and sudden pressure frequently on their toes can suffer damage, causing toe pain. The artifact of the toes is more prone to the same.
- Environmental damage also incorporates nervous damage in the toe. Wearing an ill-fitting shoe day after day, even after the toe continues to hurt, can result in nervous compression, which occurs due to repetitious activities or one-time occasion.
- Autoimmune diseases, where the immune system of the body attacks the healthy cells of the body, might lead to an array of painful sicknesses. The joints of the body are more sensitive to this.
Treatment of toe pain
- Without proper rest, no medication will ever work effectively.
- The individual needs to keep themselves calm and keep taking the medications while resting properly for quick relief.
- Excessive use of improper medications can also result in such a condition. Ensure that you have taken the right painkillers, in case the pain does not go away with time.
- Don’t ever leave the wounded and painful toe untreated for a long time, because it might lead to further issues.
- In case of severe pain that persists for more than a week or pain that does not let you walk, you must consult a doctor immediately.
- Also, if you have diabetes and the pain or swelling does not subside for many days, rush to a doctor for toe pain relief.
- First aid treatment includes the application of ice to reduce the swelling, along with taking proper rest. You can also keep the feet elevated for a while to reduce the swelling.
- Alternatively, you can soak the foot in warm water to reduce pain due to corns. In case of a hairline crack, doctors often advise soaking the feet alternatively in ice water and warm water.
- Changing your footwear to comfortable ones might lessen the risk of toe injury.
Accidents can occur anytime anywhere, and the toe joint might get injured while a person is exercising, running, or even while walking. Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and gout often target the big toe. Detection of the pain starts with identifying the exact location of the same.